Deathly Hallows. Meaning? Your theories.

For the international viewers of potterish

Moderators: O Ministério, Equipe - Beco Diagonish

Mist
Com a Pedra Filosofal
Com a Pedra Filosofal
Estado: EUA

Deathly Hallows. Meaning? Your theories.

Post by Mist »

Well, JKR elegantly choose a title like this, just to make it difficult for us Potter fans to figure out exactly what it might mean.
On the other hand , the book title's before this one, have been quite
easy to understand. The new title is not a simple one, but maybe it just SEEMS complicated?
And mostly refers to horxruxes, after all?

The word 'deathly' means something that can cause death, as I understand it.
Other expressions containing this word are for example, 'deathly pale' or 'deathly illness'. The latter means that you could die from it, but not necessarily.
In old English the word 'hallow' refers to a cabinet, coffin or relic.

Old medieval legends talk about magical and sacred objects.
Arthurian legends, Hallows of Ireland and the Tarot deck of cards.
Too long stories for me to get into here. You can easily obtain information
using a search engine on the Internet.

In our days 'hallows' can mean kingly regalia. Objects, like the Sceptre and the Crown. Like four objects of the founder's of Hogwart's, and now containing Horcruxes?
Helga Hufflepuff's cup holds some very old and powerful magic. Voldemort is impressed by, and honour, these old magical items. I'm pretty sure he wanted to make Gryffindor's sword into a horcrux, but it was kept safe in Dumbledore's office.

Four magical objects could be these:

1. The rod, as in the rod of a king. Rod, as a stick. A wand, maybe. Ollivander. The old wand in his shop window?
2. The sword. But it was kept safe, so the item must be something else.
3. The cup. Hufflepuff's gold cup?
4. The crown, as in tiara? The one in the unknowable-room, or the one Fleur will use at the wedding? An old tiara that Molly's aunt is going to lend her.

If the word 'Hallows' refer to horcruxes, this can mean the wand, the cup, the tiara and the locket. Slytherin's locket. Rovena Ravenclaw's wand or her tiara? Gryffindor's?
Naturally, there are other possibilities when it comes to the horcruxes.

The horcruxes are holy to Voldemort himself and deathly, if someone tries to put his hands on them.There's magic put on them by the Dark Lord. Horcruxes can mean the death also for Voldemort, if they are destroyed. Then the only bit left of his soul will reside within himself
(the seventh).

The title can refer to Godric's Hollow, as well. The village where Harry's parents were killed by Voldemort on All Hallow's Eve.
A special place for Voldemort? And in another way for Harry.
The dead and the living are close to one another, exactly on the night after this eve, according to the legends.The veil between these two world's is thinner than ever.

To hallow something, is also to honour/admire something, or someone. Hallow ground as in holy ground. To Voldemort this significates the places he put his horcruxes, maybe.
Even Hogwart's must be holy ground to him.
I think the founder's rest her. All except Slytherin, I guess. There's supposed to be a graveyard at Hogwart's.
I don't think JK Rowling said this, but the film director Alfonso Cuaron did.

Hallow can mean 'to make holy', and relics, as in a shrine.
The holy remains of saints, or some item of their's are kept in shrines.
In Irish mythology they talk about 'holy vessels'. To seek hallows meant to visit a holy place or a shrine containing relics, a religious statue or other object

Myself I'm sure that a lot of the plot in the last book will circle around finding the horcruxes. Other hallows will be mentioned. We will perhaps be introduced to a hall or a place we haven't seen yet. A new curse or counter curse.
We'll get to know more about the 'gong' curse that Dumbledore used in OotP against Voldemort. It emanated this kind of sound, but must have a name?

Wizards have treated goblins and house-elves badly throughout centuries. Goblins, among other's, have fought for their rights on several occations. Goblins, if you rember, run Gringott's and are very intelligent and skilled. Can easily measure up to wizards.
All creatures suffered a great deal under Voldemort, last time he was 'up and about'.
If these gain their rights, will the house-elves be able to help in the war against Voldemort, with Dobby as a leader? If the Dark Lord returns to the school, this is. House-elves can do great magic. And is there one thing Dobby wouldn't do for Harry?
Professor Binns is a ghost. He's bound to have some interesting information for Harry.
And was Harry's mother an Unspeakable at the DoM?

What are your theories for this book? What will happen?
Thaês
Com a Pedra Filosofal
Com a Pedra Filosofal
Estado: Reino Unido
Casa: Corvinal
Facebook: http://www.orkut.com.br/Main#Profile.as ... 3477379775
Photos: www.fotolog.com/t__chan

Post by Thaês »

Hi there!
Really amazing thing you've got there! I mean, the part about the tiara, the sword and all that. But you forget to ention one more thing:

"Halloween".

Halloween means, from the mexican tradition, "all halllow's eve". Ok, nothing really important. Except that "all hallow's eve" is exactly the day that Voldemort atacked the potters. So, It might be that hallows is a reference to the horcruxes, since, voldie picked the hallow's eve to do his last one. At Godric's Hallow, even.

Maybe even the whole place can be a horcruxe. (Ok, probably not).

It's not a theory, but it is just a detail. Sort of important, I guess :3!
Neville+Hannah = ♥
Oh, bollocks,don't tell my boyfriend but I think I love Matthew Lewis.
Mist
Com a Pedra Filosofal
Com a Pedra Filosofal
Estado: EUA

Post by Mist »

Thanks for pointing this out, Thaês. :)
All Hallows Eve, is the night and the time of year, when the veil which separates the two worlds (the upper and the lower) is the thinnest, according to many old tales, among others the Irish ones.
If I remember correctly, Thaês, this is the only night when the departed, the spirits, can find their way through this veil and visit, make contact with the psysical world. Magic is very potent during this night.
Surely this also was important to the events that took place at Godric's Hollow, when the Potters were attacked.
Just exactly in what way did this matter?
Has anyone thought about it?
Will the finale of the books take place at this time, too? :?:
Thaês
Com a Pedra Filosofal
Com a Pedra Filosofal
Estado: Reino Unido
Casa: Corvinal
Facebook: http://www.orkut.com.br/Main#Profile.as ... 3477379775
Photos: www.fotolog.com/t__chan

Post by Thaês »

All Hallows Eve, is the night and the time of year, when the veil which separates the two worlds (the upper and the lower) is the thinnest, according to many old tales, among others the Irish ones.
maybe this is related to veil at the mistery's department o.o'
Neville+Hannah = ♥
Oh, bollocks,don't tell my boyfriend but I think I love Matthew Lewis.

Return to “International”